Friday, February 15, 2013

Hot Cocoa Mix *Recipe


I am sharing the most amazing Hot Cocoa recipe. It is my all time favorite!

I have some very bad memories of hot cocoa mixes my mom made when we were kids. They always seemed kind of.... thin and unchocolately. It tasted like watered down chocolate pudding made with powdered milk. Nasty. Those bad cocoa consumptions left a bad taste in my mouth (bahahaha) when it came to hot cocoa mixes and I became a cocoa snob. Gasp!

As we began to create 'make it yourself' items in our kitchen one of the first things I tackled was a homemade cocoa recipe. I did not want a 'just okay' cocoa. I wanted a childhood toasty toes by the heater while drinking some warm marshmallowed cocoa after playing outside in the snow kind of memory in a cup. I searched everywhere! With milk and without. I added shaved chocolate (what a mess) and chocolate chips (impossible to clean out of tall coffee cup). There were organic versions and carob versions. I tried probably 10 different variations of cocoa mix before settling on this one!

We have some very big cocoa drinkers here and although it isn't the purest and most 'green' recipe it is far better then the preservative laden name brand cocoa mix. It is easy. It is inexpensive and I generally have everything I need right here. It passes the Princess Petunia (not too sugary) and the Princess Peony (very chocolaty) test. The best part of all is that it makes a huge recipe thanks to Kimberly, a mom of many over at Raising Olives.

Princess Petunia loves her Cocoa and I don't feel so bad offering it before bed or as a snack in the afternoon. I have even been known to offer it as milk when we have run out.(Does anyone else run out of milk?) It does have powdered milk in it so that has to count, right?


Amazing Hot Cocoa




Amazing Hot Cocoa
4 cups powdered sugar
5 to 6 cups powdered milk 
2 cups of baking cocoa
2 scant teaspoons sea salt
4 teaspoons of corn starch* 
2 pinches of ground cayenne pepper 

Mix all together in a large mixing bowl. I also like to use my hand blender to pulverize the powdered milk. Just cover the bowl with a drying towel and then blend away. Please don't skip this. Use a blender or a food processor if you can. It is important for the smoothness of the cocoa. Place in a glass storage container. I had cocoa mix enough for a 2 quart jar and half of a one quart jar.
 
To serve: Mix 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mix to hot water. Stir well and enjoy

*arrowroot powder would probably work

 Bit of Cocoa with a dollop of coconut milk.

Always Blessed, 
Gretchen

Possibly Linking With:




2 comments:

  1. I just made an 'emergency' run to the store for chocolate chips and hot chocolate :-) and just in time because it is snowing (again)!! I was thinking this morning that I should find a hot chocolate recipe so I wouldn't have to go to the store. I just so happen to have powdered milk (what they don't know won't hurt them, LOL) and LOTS of cocoa!! I mean, LOTS!! So, I pinned your recipe so that I will have it when we run out of hot chocolate again. Thanks for linking up at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh! You will have to tell me how you like it! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your feedback, thoughts, ideas, and comments. Let's just keep it respectful, ok?